Tuesday, 11 February 2014

Peony Pink


It's How I Wear My Pink week over at Everything Just So and The Rich Life on a Budget.  So I thought I'd share my favourite pink dress of the last few months - this peony print dress by Preen.  With its summery white stripes and splashes of neon yellow it was a bit more of an adventurous take on a summer floral than your run of the mill ditsy print.  I got it on sale in the summer last year just when the UK summer finally arrived and the weather began to heat up. It became my go to solution when I wanted to look smart, fresh and feminine but get dressed in a flash.  An added bonus of travelling to an Australian summer in November meant I got even more wear out of it.

Last summer I discovered the joy of peonies.  They were on sale in florists all over London and after seeing them artfully arranged in an old French mustard pot to adorn a friends afternoon tea party, I began buying them to put in vases at home.  They really are gorgeous flowers and I loved watching all that unfurling of layers and layers of soft pink petals as the tightly folded buds opened up into voluptuous frilly edged blooms.


Coincidentally one of my favourite collections of the year was the peony and python themed collection by the London design duo Preen, whose highly original work I've been a fan of for years and who always incorporate wonderful prints into their designs.  I particularly love what they do with florals and these were my favourite runway looks from SS 2013.

Preen SS 2013. Source: Preen
Preen SS 2013. Source: Preen
Preen SS 2013. Source: Preen

Often designers will send down their most avant garde creations down the runway and then rework themes from the collection into more wearable (read saleable) garments at a more wallet friendly price point than the show pieces.  As designers go Preen are actually very good at this, often taking their prints into jersey and cotton mix pieces with simpler shapes.


Here I am wearing a toned down version of the runway peony print, reborn as a simpler cotton shift dress whose versatility made it the perfect day dress.  I found I could wear it very easily at work smartened up with a pale cream jacket and neutral court shoes. It worked equally well worn for pleasure with a little lemon yellow bolero knit thrown over, with either gold sparkly flats as in the photo or my neon yellow heels to pick out the neon in the print.  When it came to packing for a vacation it was the first thing that went in the suitcase as it was so versatile.  So versatile in fact, it even made it to the beach!


Check out the other ladies in pink!  Also linking up to Visible Monday over at Not Yet Dead Style and The Spy Girl: 52 Pick-me-up.

Peony print cotton mix dress: Preen by Thornton Bregazzi; Diamante flip flops: Betts & Betts

17 comments:

  1. That last picture is so glorious! I too like these cheery floral prints, and they suit you beautifully. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful dress! Love me a good Betts&Betts bargain.

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look lovely in this - I adore the print and shape of the dress. Thank you for the intro to Preen, also, a new designer to me. That picture of the peonies just makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peonies never looked so good and I'm taken with the addition of neon yellow. To be able to wear a dress to the office and on the beach is the true measure of versatility. You wear your pink with panache!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like your version better than the runway. good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous dress!! love the white bands over the pattern ( or is it the pattern over the white bands :0) ?) Preen are so good Love 'em

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a gorgeous dress, and you look beautiful in it. Let's hope we have some sort of summer this year so you can wear it even more! The beach photos are stunning, and peonies are among my favourite flowers too. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that beach! I'm loving the splash of neon yellow in your dress. xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't come up with enough praise for this dress. Especially with you in it. Quite perfect, and glad that you are showing it to us. I love the idea of it dressed up or down.
    Peonies are one of my favorite flowers ... my mother had a garden full of them at one point in my childhood, but they stopped blooming for some reason. Here they prounounce their name "pea-OWN-ees". Gaack.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That dress is so cool with the interrupting white stripes. So much better than the full on peonies. And you look great in it too. Love the idea of you wearing it anyway you want it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, it's so good to have you back!! I love the beautiful things you bring to my attention and I love how your writing brings everything to life. You wear gorgeous clothes that don't necessarily suit me, and I thoroughly enjoy seeing your interpretation. Peonies are probably my favorite flowers, yet I rarely have them in my home. Must fix that! XXXOOO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a lovely print and a gorgeous colour on you.

    Reminds me of spring/summer. (sigh) something I think we had 20 years ago. It is so faint in my memory now.

    Thanks for the beach/ocean photos. I am so jealous!

    BTW…hubby went to Malaysia, Thailand and is now in Japan, but for 2 weeks was in Australia. So sad that his suitcase isn't bigger so I could fit in it.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahh, yes, Preen--such a lovely dress and print. It suits you well, and I really like the white spacing as well in the print. I can definitely see why it made it to the beach, it's a very versatile piece.
    Have a great week! :) /Madison

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the recap on Preen. Just becoming familiar with their work, which I admire. The runway to retail comparisons are interesting. Peonies are so luscious. Love your bouquet and Preen's renditions.
    Thanks for linking up this week with 52 Pick-me-up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post V. Love your dress it's divine!!!! Amazing print!
    xox
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  16. You look fantastic.I was searching for fashion blog and came across your website.Please visit our website, www.shoedaca.com .We are famous for our huge collection of salt water sandals.We are
    an authorized retailer of Hoy Shoes!!!!!Have you tried one?I am sure you won't be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for your comments! Please be aware that comment moderation is on to weed out the spammers and I can only check comments once a day, so please don't worry if you don't see your comment come up at first - it is probably there and will be up later xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...